Church and Parish Development

The first Anglican Church in North Town was a tin Mission Church and Church Room opened in 1880. It was located in North Lane opposite the Canning Road junction.

The present St Augustine’s was built and dedicated on All Saints Day 1907 ( it was actually consecrated the following year. The present Church Hall followed in 1914 and the Vicarage in 1935.

The original design of St Augustine’s by Sir Robert Jackson was truncated due to lack of funds and the church was completed in 1964 with the addition of the Sanctuary, Sacristy, Vestries and the East Window.

View the original plans for St. Augustine's here

Even this Church Completion Scheme was itself "truncated" however. A small Lady Chapel had been planned in the South East corner of the church but escalating costs ultimately precluded this very important requirement.

St Augustine’s was a daughter church of St Michaels until it became a Conventional District under Father Roger Francis in 1944 and a separate Parish in 1958 under Father Garth Long.


Ainger Close
Alma Close
Ash Road

Belle Vue Close
Belle Vue Road

Calvert Close
Canning Road
Clarence Close
Clive Road
Connaught Road

Deadbrook Lane
Denmark Square
Denmark Street

Eastern Road
Eland Road

Farm Road
Field Way
Friend Avenue

Haig Road
Highland Close
Highland Road
Holder Road
Holly Bush Lane
Holly Close
Holly Road

Institute Road

Lower Newport Road.

Mount Pleasant Road
Northfield Close
North Lane
Newport Road

Old Lane

Pegasus Avenue

Queen Street

Redan Road
Roberts Road

St Augustine's Close
Staff Road

Wilson Road
Windmill Road
Wolfe Road

NOTE In certain instances the Parish Boundary is defined as passing through "the middle" of particular roads in the "London Gazette" No 41299 of 31st Jan 1958.


The Parish of St Augustine was "carved out" of the Parish of St Michael in 1958.
The Eastern and Western are clearly defined by River, Canal or Railway lines. The Northern Boundary (Where it joins St Marks Farnborough ) is less well defined but since this area contains no buildings and is now part of the official Blackwater River Amenity Park Development Scheme it presents no immediate pastoral problems.
The South and South East boundaries are far less logical and rather "messy".


North Lane, around which the Hamlet of North Town developed, was never part of the original Aldershot Village.
North Lane is, in fact, an old Drovers Route from the west Country to London. It linked the route from Ash and round the Fox Hills in the South to Bagshot Heath and on to London in the North hence "North" lane.
With the establishment of Military Aldershot in the 1860's and 1870's North Town, being very close to the South East corner of it became a “back door" of it for civilian labour and was the scene of much speculative building of mean artisan dwellings along the farmlands of North Lane.
Throughout the rest of the century and on until the First World War this development continued with a slightly higher standard of dwelling and on across the slopes of the great hill which divides Aldershot and North Town.
The Inter War years saw little development of housing except the sale of the last arable farm the Park Farm, owned by the Chrismas Family, which was developed into the Park Farm Estate.

The post-War years have seen the housing development move Eastwards with the sale of the pasture lands separating North Town from Ash to create the Denmark Square Complex and the slightly better quality housing towards the Basingstoke Canal and Ash together with some Light Industry along North Lane itself.